Friday, July 25, 2008

Pioneer Day

Yesterday was Pioneer Day, a state holiday to celebrate the Pioneers coming into Utah. For us, it's just another excuse to light fireworks. Surprisingly, they are still legal here! They outlawed fireworks in Colorado some time ago, so this was my first time and many years to light my own! We had our friends Catrina, Shae and Makaylie over to play with fire. We had a blast!

This was the first time Lily saw fireworks up close. She loved it! She sat in my lap and laughed and clapped when the little ones went off. She just stared when we lit the bigger ones, and she clung to me when there were loud ones. Lily and Makaylie had fun eating ice cream cones and jumping from Trina's lap to mine. By the end they were both exhausted! Marcos had fun playing pyro-maniac with Shae. They tried to light chain reactions, with a lot of success!

The girls explore the goodies

"Hold me 'ina, I'm scared!"

Yum! Ice cream cones are a tradition now!

Run away Shae!

Look at all that smoke

3 comments:

Unknown said...

this sounds like so much fun! Its wierd to be away from the mormon strip on pioneer day! We lived in idaho for the past four years and the whole town did things! But now, no one knows what it is... except the memebr so we were glad to hear that we are atleast having a stake pioneer day picnic and game on saturday! Firworks look like so much fun! I remmeber doing them together when we were little and eating salt water taffy for the fourth of july. To this day I HAVE to eat taffy on the 4th. There is just no other way to do it! I love that you are majoring in exercise science. Maybe you can teach me how to get back into the shape I once was!

Mike and Tia Fam said...

Wow, I am going to have to check your blog more often - you've been a busy gal. I miss pioneer day too - Mike worked this year and there was no real indication of a celebration.

Mi Mi (Phyllis) said...

We love your new blog, but it makes us miss Lily...especially Grand Dad George. So happy Jessi has good memories of the many 4ths we shared with her great family. We were happy you guys made it out to Colorado Springs for this past 4th of July. I am still seriously missing not having a Las Vegas pool for Liliana to learn to swim in. I think we'll just have to move to a neighborhood with a clubhouse and pool...just for her!